Happy Friday, Everyone!
It has been a very good week here in Biffville (Population: wan … and a half).
There’s nothing in particular that made it a very good week. It just was.
What makes a good workweek is kind of like what makes a good flight: it just needs to not suck too much.
That’s a pretty low bar by anyone’s standards.
If I can make it from Monday morning to Friday afternoon with a minimum amount of suckage, then it was a good, quality week and I am quite happy about it.
The weekends, on the other hand, I have a bit more control over and so the bar for what makes a good weekend is considerably higher.
A good weekend consists of any weekend in which 4 or 5 things on the following list happens. If more than 5 of them happens, then that constitutes an excellent weekend and gets an entry in my spiral notebook that I’ve entitled “The Weekend Hall of Fame”.
- Getting to sleep in a bit on Saturday. Not too late. Maybe 8:00 or 8:30. (Bonus points if I awake to the sound of rain and can just roll over and go back so sleep.)
- After waking up, getting to enjoy a leisurely cup of coffee and an Einstein bagel while still in my pajamas
- Not having to get outside and do yard work
- Getting the household chores knocked out in a reasonable amount of time
- Not having to steam clean anything out of the carpet
- Not having to repair anything in the house or replace something expensive
- Ditto for the car
- Running errands without places being too crowded or the traffic being too bad
- Having a Starbucks at Barnes & Noble while reading a magazine
- Getting to do some writing without any distractions (this almost never happens)
- Taking an impromptu nap in my writing chair without getting a crick in my back or neck
- Continuing to work on all the chocolate I got for Christmas
- Not having to bail, stanch, or plunge anything
Here’s hoping you have a wonderful weekend!