I’m going to try to get this written and posted before my temporary, fill-in laptop locks up again.
I have already told you about how my regular laptop died earlier this week and left me virtually laptop-less. I say “virtually”, because, like most people, I have a closet full of old, defunct laptops.
What? Only I do that? Hmm … strange. I thought everyone kept their old laptops after they stopped working.
Anyway, I resurrected an old laptop I had used as an experiment to load Linux on. This aged, Linux-infused laptop has allowed me to continue with my writing, and to access the internet for WordPress and checking my mail.
Unfortunately, this laptop cannot handle stress and if I open up too many windows at a time (like 3), it will get slower and slower and slower until it finally just locks up and I have to power it down and back up to make it work again. Last night, for example, it locked up whilst playing music videos on YouTube and trying to write. The music kept playing, but the screen, keyboard, and mouse were completely non-functional. While this is fine for a radio, it’s not so great for a laptop.
So anyway, today I will finally go out and buy another laptop. I really hate to do that because, in the past three weeks I have had to buy the following:
- A new water heater (the old one died a month after its warranty expired)
- A separate visit from a plumber to fix a broken shower valve
- A new refrigerator (to be delivered in 2 weeks to replace one that is slowly dying)
- A new windshield for my car this coming up week (the old one has a meter-long crack across it from a rock I took 6 or so weeks ago)
- A new living room comfy chair (this one has become so ratty and tatty that I can no long ignore it — but I will write of this another day)
So, as you can see, the Biff finances have taken quite a hit in the past month.
But I simply cannot live without a laptop. It would be easier to live without a refrigerator.
Well, I must go. My temporary laptop is starting to hesitate as I type and the cooling fan is starting to sound like a jet engine about to take off.
Have a great Sunday! Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms out there.