You’d think by this age in my life, I’d have developed a certain amount of caution, foresight, and situational awareness.
But you’d be disappointed if you thought that about me. I know I certainly was!
I was microwaving my coffee earlier to reheat it, just as I’ve done thousands upon thousands of times over the past 8 or so years. My aged microwave rarely gets the contents of anything more than lukewarm if the timer is set to anything less than 2 minutes or so. After all, the thing is over 20 years old. It’s a wonder it works at all.
But tonight, for some reason that escapes me, the mug I was using, which is one I’ve used hundreds of times without incident, decided that it would get up to about 500 degrees (260 C). Especially the handle.
So when I reached in and grabbed it, completely unaware of the fact that I really should be using asbestos lined ore-smelting gloves, I ended up branded myself. I now have a welt on my finger that will probably blister by tomorrow.
But not to worry … the coffee inside the cup was still room temperature.